Economic and environmental vulnerability index is a composite index of two subindices:an economic vulnerability index and an environmental vulnerability index. The economic vulnerability sub-index is made up of four indicators:
- Share of agriculture, forestry and fishing in GDP;
- Remoteness and landlockedness;
- Merchandise export concentration; and
- Instability of exports of goods and services.
The environmental vulnerability sub-index is also made up of four indicators:
- Share of population in low elevated coastal zones;
- Share of population living in drylands;
- Instability of agricultural production; and
- Victims of disasters.